The Night Market (Pasar Malam) in Kuala Berang

Every Tuesday, I get a ride over to Ezra's school
in Kuala Berang, and meet up with him for his improv class. After class, we ride over to the Pasar Malam for dinner. We get the usual; chicken satay with peanut sauce, roti canai, naan, seasoned garbanzo beans, vegetable porridge, kuey teow noodles (like chow fun), and another roti canai for dessert. We take a seat at the market-side cafe and order drinks. It is the best part of my week, as I get to spend time with Ez, eat food I like and gain a little bit of my weight back.
My friend Umi
On our way to the Pasar Malam on Tuesdays, we always stop off at our favorite little fabric

store to visit my friend Umi. I met her buying pants at the store in February. She was immediately my best friend, and I look forward to chatting with her every week. Something I really love about her is that she is not afraid of physical contact. Most Malays here avoid touching me other than shaking hands, and any time I've ever tried to hug anyone it is SUPER awkward. Not Umi. She hugs me tightly every time we see each other, and holds my hand the entire time we talk. I feel at home with her, and it is nice to have a home here. This is Umi (in the middle) sewing up my shirt when it ripped.
Riding the Moto
Living in such a rural area,

I sometimes feel isolated, as it can be 2 or 3 days
before I ever leave my school grounds. So, when I hop on the back of Ez's moto and leave the school, I feel free. There is nothing like feeling the breeze as you pass fields of palm trees and green hills. Ez taught me to drive the moto myself, but I haven't taken it out on the road. I'm not sure that will happen. Ez is a great driver, and I like being the passenger in this case.
Laughter and Singing
Students at my school are absolutely obsessed with music.

Therefore, every chance they get they ask me to play songs for them, and print out the lyrics for them to sing along. I've spent many a recess sitting in the library with a group of 10 kids singing along to songs ranging from "You are My Sunshine" to "My Humps." Recently, I seem to have formed a Latin American music club, where 5 or so kids who love Spanish soap operas have asked me to play Juanes songs for them. We sing along in Spanish and I translate for them. Now, every so often I am greeted with "Buenos días" and "Como estás?" which makes me feel right at home.
Also, laughter is a huge part of my experience here. Sometimes I am sure my students are laughing at me, but a lot of the time I am making them laugh, which is a fabulous experience. There is nothing like standing in front of a classroom of 30 kids and making a really corny joke, and then hearing them laugh for a good 3 minutes.
Ikman
This is Ikman. He is a Form 1 student (age 13) and is undoubtedly the best English student in the class. He is also the most adorable; the smallest in the class by a large
margin, Ikman is always the most enthusiastic of anyone. Most teachers are always 5-10 minutes late for class, a habit which I have picked up as well. But, Ikman does not tolerate my tardiness. Every Wednesday without fail, as I am sitting at my desk and gathering up my teaching materials to take with me to my Form 1 class, in walks Ikman asking where I have been."Ms. Sarah, it's time for class!"
"Ok, Ikman, I'm coming!"
Then he walks me to the classroom smiling the whole way.
It's good to have things to count on here. Whether its the night market or Ikman poking his head through the office door, it keeps me sane and happy.
Stay tuned for Part 2 in August...
(Also- see photo section for new pictures!)
5 comments:
Sarah, I love this entry!! I smiled and got a bit misty several times. Thanks for sharing these great memories/traditions!
Love,
David
Dear Sarah,
I loved this blog entry too. It's all about the caring people and the ones you have touched. Really lovely! keep looking for the light and you'll probably have more than 2 parts to your "Greatest iIts" saga.
Lots of love,
Annie
Hi Sarah,
Wow, my reaction to this blog was the same as Davids - I love the picture of you and Umi...you look so happy! You have such a wonderful spirit and attitude. I'm sure by next May you will be remembering with love all of the great experiences and students you touched - Happy May Day!!!
Love you lots, Aunti Jan
Thanks you guys :)
Ms. Sarah,
I'm so happy that you experience these foods, places, and most importantly friends (in the ugly face of frustration). What beauty you see and share with us! And Ikman... aw, my heart! It will be such a blessing to leave that place knowing that you've touched at least one other who's touched you in the same way. You're an amazing woman and I look forward to learning from more of your delightful (and otherwise) adventures :D
<3
el
Post a Comment